What percent of children in the U.S. are a minority?What percent of children in the U.S.
Explicit and implicit values, beliefs, and patterns of behavior that are passed on from generation to generation; customs, rituals, ways of interacting and communicating and expectations for behaviors, roles, and relationships that are shared by member of a group.
What is culture characteristic of
T/Fevery child is like all other children in some waysevery child is like some other children in some ways (those who are members of the same cultural group)every child is like no other child
All are true
Why is culture so relevant for early childhood educators?
Culture shapes and influences every child’s development and learning
The process whereby children learn expected rules of behavior
What do cultural rules determine?
The meaning attached to particular behaviors
Principles to understand
1. Everyone has a culture, and is a products of one or more cultural groups2. Culture is dynamic3.
Best services for writing your paper according to Trustpilot
* All Partners were chosen among 50+ writing services by our Customer Satisfaction Team
Culture, lanuage, ethnicity, and race are aspects of experience that influence people’s values and beliefs
4. Differences within a cultural group may be as great as, o greater than, differnce between cultural groups5. Culture is defined in terms of differences among groups and is complicated by issues of power and status
shared characteristics and experiences of a group of people, nationality, race, history, religion, and language
What do scientists argue?
A person’s race cannot be determined by examinging her or his biological makeup
What is the most useful strategy?
Responsive teachers create a classroom climate in which it is safe to talk about and notice racial and cultural differences
Individualistic cultural groups
focus on needs of individual, independence, self expression, and personal property, and choice
collectivist cultural groups
Focus on needs of the group.
How does the continuum help teachers?
1. reduces likelihood tha tdifferences will be categorized as right or wrong2. reduces tendency to stereotype groups3.
has potential to increase understanding and communication among teachers and families who may differ.
What problems occcur without cultural understanding?
1. teachers misunderstand children 2. teachers can inaccurately assesss competence 3. teachers can plan incorrectly to promote children’s learning